Friday 6 June 2008

introducing myself

I first tried heroin in prison. I found it really helped me to deal with the monotony of prison. After being released I didn’t use heroin again for years. Then my circumstances took a turn for the worse, and I started to use heroin again, soon developing an addiction. After experiencing the devastation that addiction wracked on my life, I made several attempts to address my substance use problems. However, nothing seemed to work for me, and I was getting deeper and deeper into the cycle of addiction, homelessness and crime.

In 2007, I was fortunate enough to get a space on the Bridge Project, a residential rehab run by the Salvation Army in Cardiff. Since being on the Bridge Project my life has changed dramatically. I have had the opportunity to address my addiction and other life problems, whilst living in a stable and supportive environment. The Bridge Project staff have been fantastic and I have had endless help and support from them.

I no longer use heroin and have been on a methadone prescription since January 2008. My plan is to slowly reduce my methadone until I am living drug free. Since stopping using heroin things have not been easy, and I have had many battles to fight. But with the support I have around me I am getting through.

My experiences with addiction and recovery have prompted me to pursue future employment in the substance misuse field, although I would like to go to bible college for training before that, and eventually look for a job that enables me to work in this field with a Christian point of view. I want to be able to share my experiences with others and help people address their alcohol and drug use in a productive environment. Personally, I believe that positive mental attitude is vital in overcoming addiction, and this is something that I want others to learn about and achieve.

I first met Wired In during the summer of 2007. I shared with them my views and experiences about addiction, treatment and recovery on film. At the time I was still using heroin, and now, looking back on the footage I can see how far I have come. I have put on weight, am looking much healthier and I now have a positive outlook on life. I got involved in the film project because I wanted others to learn about the real life side of addiction. Recently I am also writing my personal story so that others can see that there is hope in finding recovery.

Favourite quote - "Just Believe and you can achieve"

No comments: